Saturday, September 13, 2008

Abstraction Exercise/ HELP!

For any of those of who are in Eng 332-60 with me on thurday nights, who actually read this, if you have any idea on how to do the assignment, please HELP me. I understand we have to write a poem or short story on the images used in the class warm up, the problem is I think I was the only one in the class doing it the wrong way. I kept writing phrases or sentences rather than a word or list. I know the assignment isn't at all hard to comprehand, but for some reason I'm having a little trouble understanding therefore getting started is a bit difficult for me. Please Help!!!

3 comments:

Orion said...

Just take the images or phrases you came up with in the abstraction exercise and make a poem using them. Thats all there is to it.

The story, I believe, she wants us to make using one of the things we wrote in that OTHER list - the one where we were all giving examples of a story we had told to someone - (she likes lists). I think you have to use one of those or one of the ideas you wrote down in the exercise after that - another list - of ideas you would really like to write about.

I don't know, I wish she wasn't so vague about the assignments.

A Quinlan said...

Orion Metalhead is right. You are to do both assignments.

1. Make a poem about some of the images -- or sentences -- you came up with when doing the abstraction exercise in class. Turn in Thursday.

2. Make 2 lists (which I will never check) of 1) Five stories you told last week. (eg: I went to the dentist...) and 2) Five stories you'd like to write in this class, fictional or real. (we won't be writing five stories, but that is a list you can draw from.)

3. Write one page of any of the stories above. Turn in Thursday.

4. Bring a copy of J. Joyce's Dubliner's to class and read first 4 pages.

MissShaw1 said...

So sorry I didn't read this earlier to help you out...but you need to focus on the bits of phrases or words you wrote throughout the "puzzle" of abstratcions. It's amazing once you put your mind to it what you can make of it.