Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Man With 2 First Names...James Joyce

Last semester in Eng 200-01 I read a short story by James Joyce called Eveline. The story was about this spineless young woman who gave up her only chance of freedom because she was too afraid of the unknown. Eveline lived with her emotionally abusive father. She felt that she always had to take care of him because that was one of his way of manipulating her, by making her feel that he wouldn't survive without her nor her without him. Eveline met and fell in love with a sailor who wanted to take her away and marry her, she almost left with him but because of all the years of mental and emotional abuse her father put her through she couldn't leave. I know I called her spineless in the beginning it's just that it hard to see why someone would stay in that kind of relationship if it is causing them so much pain, but I realize that it's a different case when you're the one in the abusive relationship.
Back to James Joyce, I feel his story of Eveline was well written, it is very short but has a powerful meaning behind it. I prefer the short and powerful types of work.

1 comment:

A Quinlan said...

Well done. Eveline is a little spineless. Poor thing. I wonder whether you'll find the hero of "The Dead" to be a whole lot braver.