Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Introduction into Poetry

I never made enough time to read, so I learned about most authors such as William Shakespeare, Earnest Hemingway and so on through school. It was Langston Hughes who turned my attention more into poetry. I learned about him and read some of his poems in my late years of elementary school or early years of middle school. It was African American month and we had an assignment to look up a famous African American person and write a short biography about them. I remember the way I felt when I read the poem "The Negro Mother." I appreciated poetry so much more and began to become more involved with my own writing. The poem that I would like to share with you because of September 11Th coming up and the coming elections is "Let America Be America Again." Ironically he wrote this poem in 1938 long before all the resent events but it's amazing how it relates to the now!http://www.kansasheritage.org/crossingboundaries/page6e1.html is a good site because it gives a short biography of Hughes and has some great pictures.

No comments: