Saturday, December 13, 2008

Favorite Writers

I am first going to start with Robert Frost, I read "The Road Not Taken" in one of my English classes. Every time I think about this poem I think about a family friend who is suffering from severe midlife crisis. He is unhappy with the decisions he has made in his life, and is always wondering what if he would have taken a different road. I found this very helpful website called http://www.frostfriends.org/tutorialis a great website that can help you understand Robert Frost better. It is a site where you can type a title of one of Robert Frost's poems and then you will find notes, and interpretations that are written by other Frost followers.

Maya Angelou is my favorite female writer, as I may have mentioned before. I read parts of I Know Why Does The Cage bird Sing, and it was very inspirational. It's an autobiography with all the wonderful literary elements of literature to keep the reader's attention. http://www.mayaangelou.com/ is her official website. It's a very small website with a brief biography and list of a few of her books. There is also an article she wrote in the Essence Magazine in 2006.


Ernest Hemingway the writer of the very short controversial story called Hills Like White Elephants. I read this in college my sophomore year. I still to this day don't understand what the title has to do with a story about a man and a women who are apparently conversation about the decision to go through with an abortion. The man in the story is more towards the side of having one, while the woman is still unsure. If anyone understands the title's significance to the story, please feel free to post comment on my blog. Unfortunately, Ernest was a mentally ill man committed suicide at the early age of 61. The website http://www.ernest.hemingway.com/ is good website to find some of his works and a short biography, it also is a site of references to other Hemingway sites. So for those of you who are fans, feel free to check out this site.

One the reasons why I loved English class in high school was because of my "good old friend," Shakespeare. His work is so unique and romantic. I know contemporary literature is great, but I love Shakespeare.http://shakespeare.palomar.edu/ is the mother load of all Shakespeare websites. This one site can connect you to all the Shakespeare sights, books and magazines. Another great site for the fans.

The next writer I can recall is Scott Fitzgerald. Remember him he is the one who wrote The Great Gatsby, and created the two timing Tom Buchanan. Apparently folks in South Carolina admire him very much because the made a website just of him. It's a website with a bibliographies and essays on interpretations of his work. This website http://www.sc.edu/fitzgerald/ also has a biography on him.

No comments: